UKLA Book Award
Celebrating children's books
Submissions are now closed for the 2019 Book Awards.
The UKLA Book Awards seek to celebrate children’s books in order to:
- encourage teachers to increase their professional and personal knowledge of recently published high quality children’s books
- promote the place of books for young people in all educational settings from nursery to key stage 4
The books selected for the award will be titles that teachers can share with pupils as part of regular classroom experience, eg to:
- read for pleasure in the teacher’s read aloud programme to the whole class
- inspire extended response from learners (through discussion, creative interaction or understanding the wider curriculum)
- be the focus of study (set books, shared and guided reading)
- enhance all aspects of literacy learning and literary study
Selection committees and teacher judges are asked to look, first and foremost, for well-written, engaging ‘reads’ and, where appropriate, outstanding illustration and design.
Book Award dates