UKLA Student Shadowing Award Programme
Discussion groups of student teachers shadowing the shortlists of the UKLA Book Awards
Student teachers shadow the UKLA Book Awards.
Each year HE Tutors are invited to lead discussion groups of student teachers shadowing the UKLA Book Awards shortlists. Each tutor can lead a group shadowing one of the three award categories: 3-6, 7-11 and 12-16+. All students taking part are eligible to vote, and the winning authors of the student votes are honoured at the prestigious UKLA Book Awards Ceremony, part of the UKLA International Conference. Participating HE tutors and students are invited to this ceremony.
- If you are interested in running a group in the summer term 2018, email [email protected] FAO Lynda Graham (All HE group leaders need to have current UKLA membership).
- Students will be invited to vote May 2018 (emails will be sent to all those registered with voting details)
All registered tutors will be invited to:
- Vote alongside their students, June 2018 (emails sent to all those registered with voting details)
- Nominate students for NEU sponsored places May 2018 , (submission form and instructions sent to all those registered).
- Attend the wine reception on Friday July 6th at the Mercure Hotel Cardiff to announce the winners (invitations will be sent to all those registered)
NEU Sponsored conference places
Each year, the NEU sponsors up to 6 students from the shadowing programme to attend the Book Awards ceremony and UKLA International Conference. Participating tutors are invited to select up to two students who have made outstanding contributions to student shadowing and write brief statements in support of their nominees.
The winning students for 2017 were:
Laura Mole, UWE nominated by Jane Carter
Jade Wickenden, MARJON, nominated by Anne Bradley
Chloe Horn, Roehampton, nominated by Anna Harrison
Charlotte Esdown & Ross Hellier, CCUC, nominated by Tracy Parvin.
Anne Swift, Past President of the NUT, honoured the winning students at the UKLA Book Awards on the Friday of conference, and at a special coffee morning on the Saturday. Anne writes: The National union of Teachers is proud to sponsor students to shadow teachers and the book awards and it was wonderful to meet the beginning teachers as they set off on their careers. Talking to them and their tutors it was clear they also valued the professional development opportunity this event gave them.
For the 2018 International Conference in Cardiff, tutors will be invited to submit nominations from 14 May 2018, closing date 21 May - all participating tutors will be emailed the submission form.