The shortlists are chosen by working parties convened by the editors of JRR and Literacy.
The award is given to a text which fulfils many of the following criteria:
- Relevance to readership – taking account of an international readership
- Accessibility to a knowledgeable readership
- Original content which contributes significantly to existing knowledge or the development of new knowledge, policy or strategy
- Clear theoretical position
- Methodologically sound research processes /design appropriate to the theoretical standpoint
- Sound level of critical analysis
- Relevant and appropriate citation base
Panel Chair: Wayne Tennent.