Name: Douglas K. Hartman
Location: Michigan, USA
- Professor of Literacy & Language, Department of Teacher Education
- Professor of Technology & Human Learning, Department of Educational Technology & Psychology
- Core Faculty, Center for European, Russian, and Eurasian Studies
- Affiliated Faculty, Asian Studies Center
- Program Director, Graduate Program in Teaching & Curriculum
(All professional positions listed above are currently held at Michigan State University)
3 words to describe yourself: Curious, Creative, Contemplative.
3 things you love to do in your spare time: Mountain Bike, Play Guitar, Read Nonfiction.
Length of UKLA membership: 2 years
Reason for joining UKLA: I joined UKLA for two reasons: (1) First-rate publications. I learned about UKLA when doing a history of the International Reading Association … and was struck by the high quality of its journals, books, etc. I have followed UKLA ever since. (2) Remarkable colleagues. My conversations and shared interests with Colin Harrison and Greg Brooks initially drew me to join UKLA and attend my first conference at the University of Sheffield. My widening circle of collegial connections has drawn me even closer to the Association.
Share a memorable experience with UKLA: At the last UKLA gathering held in Sheffield, I heard Colin Harrison and Greg Brooks carry on a brief conversation in Latin during one of the conference meals.
Describe UKLA in one word: Treasure
Connect with Douglas: Twitter.