UKLA Viewpoints: Early reading and phonics
UKLA believes that phonics alone will not make successful readers; children need to develop a range of strategies to make sense of what they read.
Successful reading teaching:
- uses a balance of phonics and meaning-focused approaches
- creates high levels of engagement and pleasure in reading
- develops children’s understanding of texts
- plays with language, stories and rhymes
- gives children plenty of experience of putting texts to use
- respects the experiences of language and literacy that children bring to school
- helps children to recognise themselves and their experiences in what they read.
You can download the full UKLA Viewpoint on Early reading and phonics to the right of this page.