UKLA Viewpoints: Vocabulary
UKLA believes that vocabulary develops as language in use, not by learning words out of context.
- Successful language development is supported by purposeful exposure to words in a language rich environment.
- Increased awareness of the power of words can help in making choices about language use.
- Opportunities to hear and experiment with new vocabulary can support reading and writing.
- Vocabulary will take root when children have opportunities to use newly learned words in writing, poetry, drama or talk.
- Bilingual/multilingual children have rich resources for vocabulary development.
You can download the full UKLA Viewpoint on vocabulary to the right of this page.