Successful reading teaching:
- uses a balance of phonics and meaning-focused approaches
- creates high levels of engagement and pleasure in reading
- develops children’s understanding of texts
- plays with language, stories and rhymes
- gives children plenty of experience of putting texts to use
- respects the experiences of language and literacy that children bring to school
- helps children to recognise themselves and their experiences in what they read.
You can download the full UKLA Viewpoint on Early reading and phonics to the right of this page.
Published January 2020.