- Spelling is best learned when children are encouraged to take an active interest in words and their meaning.
- Effective teaching of spelling is embedded across the curriculum, helping children make links between the meaning of words and their spelling.
- Investigation and discussion play a significant role in improving children’s spelling.
- Learning to be a successful speller takes time and children need to be guided to develop a range of strategies.
- A supportive environment for spelling will have not only a range of resources to support language study but a teacher who is keen to explore language with the class.
You can download the full UKLA Viewpoint on Spelling to the right of this page.